E(ART)H


 


Happy Earth Day!💚  The emergence of Spring grants us the reminder of the beauty upon our Earth, which often goes forgotten. Thoughts about environmental protection becomes clouded by the busyness of the world but it is extremely critical. (Learn more at: http://www.earthday.org/)

Earth Day got me thinking about how everything comes back to its natural state of form, our earth is the original inspiration for all that we create. It is the mere foundation that everything is developed upon. A good friend of mine (hi nada luv u) has done quite the bit of globe-trotting in recent months and pictured above is a souvenir she got me from a museum during her travels. A Note on Inspiration, it reads across the front and a note of inspiration it was. There's something so blissful about understanding the inspiration of others, it takes you on a little journey throughout their string of thoughts. That's the thing about art, it is open for interpretation but in museums, I find myself taking photos of not only artwork, but also the descriptions of it. Emerging yourself into the artist's perspective allows us to understand their different creative expeditions for each piece of their work. 

We are all capable of embarking upon creative journeys. Turn your attention to the peacefulness that the Earth offers and allow the inspiration that surrounds us to open your mind. We are man of creation so allow nature to stimulate our creativity. 

Because without "art", earth is just "eh" right? (sorry, i had to lol) 

------------------------------------
2nd photo:
"I recently went kayaking among the kelp forests of Monterey Bay and glided right into a powerful design inspiration. From above, the trailing kelp fronds are brown, cumbersome and unimpressive. However, when viewed underwater, they are transformed into graceful floating forms, impossibly silky and ethereal. There was an exact position at which the light hit the water and turned it a soft marine blue, contrasted by the suddenly glowing clartreuse kelp. The duality of this ocean palette, at once somber and illuminated, was profoundly beautiful. Each kelp frond was slick and pliant, with a deeply embossed texture that immediately reminded me of full grain leather, one of my favourite materials to work with. I immediately knew that I wanted to design a collection based on that liminal space, where the light filtered through the soft water and set those ancient oceanic leaves aglow."
- Hannah Tatar

3rd photo:
"The colors, natural cracks and breaks of the rocks and cliff faces found at the beaches in areas of the Marin Headlands and Point Reyes really inspire both my marbling and weaving work. At the moment my weaving is influenced by the layers of texture and otherworldly colors I've found. In marbling I try to more directly replicate the natural patterns, bringing what I've seen home with me."
- Shaine Drake

Tags:

Share:

0 comments